PDA

View Full Version : Ask EagleEyeSteve, now with less lazy

EagleEyeSteve
06-30-2008, 03:27 AM
So after the Hasbro Q and A thread, there seems to be some interest in me doing a new one of these. And with recent job changes, I actually have time and energy to maintain one again!

This will be a quasi-serious thread about the GI Joe brand (or Transformers, Star Wars or Masters of the Universe if you have pressing questions regarding those brands), the BS goes in Funky's Q and A thread.

The usual notice: I have no insider sources, all my information comes from material published at various websites and my analysis and conjectures are formed using readily available info and the precedents I have observed in the Joe and other brands in the past. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the rest of the Cobra Island staff.

I will do my best to give an honest and frank answer to every question asked, but I won't sugarcoat reality.

Wildbill73
06-30-2008, 03:45 AM
do you think the mega battle pack will be a big hit given it's 50.00 pricepoint??

EagleEyeSteve
06-30-2008, 03:47 AM
do you think the mega battle pack will be a big hit given it's 50.00 pricepoint??

For most markets, probably. This will likely end up a Black Friday special, so that guarantees a big number of sales from Christmas parents. I know the STar Wars sets did quite well last year and they are getting more this year.

I don't expect many of these to hit clearance.

BlackDragon
06-30-2008, 04:00 AM
For most markets, probably. This will likely end up a Black Friday special, so that guarantees a big number of sales from Christmas parents. I know the STar Wars sets did quite well last year and they are getting more this year.

I don't expect many of these to hit clearance.

I never shop on black friday cuz i hear its pretty insane. If these are a black friday special, will they be almost impossible to get unless trying to force through the herds of shoppers that day to get one?

EagleEyeSteve
06-30-2008, 04:15 AM
I never shop on black friday cuz i hear its pretty insane. If these are a black friday special, will they be almost impossible to get unless trying to force through the herds of shoppers that day to get one?

Eh, depends on your area. In some, they will probably sell before the official date, others, may see clearance on them. Hard to tell at this point. Again, the only details we have on the set are the contents, price, and that it is due in November.

A Nonny Moose
06-30-2008, 04:21 AM
What are the odds of packs of weapons or generic display stands being offered on HTS? Hasbro has got to know how popular this idea is. It seems that Hasbro is treating Joe as seriously as SW. Am I off base here?

Nan-O-Myte!
06-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Why does it burn when I pee?

Grimlock
06-30-2008, 07:31 AM
I think I missed the details, so I'm just floating this out here. Are the 25th vehicles such as the Rattler and the Firebat going to have retooled interiors? I tried to fit a 25th Wild Weasel in an '84 Rattler and he's just not going in.

aci1985
06-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Just wondering when we can expect to see the DVD packs hitting retail? I'm extremely excited about the Serpentor figure, this is the Serpentor I've waited for that I've never got to touch, lol, I would change a bit of the coloring, but design wise it's what I've wished for.

gijoe071681
06-30-2008, 10:22 PM
what is this mega battle pack?

C.I.A.D.
06-30-2008, 11:28 PM
What are the odds of packs of weapons or generic display stands being offered on HTS? Hasbro has got to know how popular this idea is. It seems that Hasbro is treating Joe as seriously as SW. Am I off base here?

During the Convention, "Accessories Pack" was listed as an upcoming item. Whether or not it's for 12" figures or 4" has yet to be declared. Stay tuned.

Because you, my friend, don't listen. I told you that Clutch spraypainted the inside of his (_)_) in nightwatch colors and that if you didn't "Toxo-Viper" up, you were gonna catch something. PAY ATTENTION TO MY WARNINGS, ARSEHOLES!

I think I missed the details, so I'm just floating this out here. Are the 25th vehicles such as the Rattler and the Firebat going to have retooled interiors? I tried to fit a 25th Wild Weasel in an '84 Rattler and he's just not going in.

Yes Sir, retooled to perfectly accomodate 25th Style figures :D

Just wondering when we can expect to see the DVD packs hitting retail? I'm extremely excited about the Serpentor figure, this is the Serpentor I've waited for that I've never got to touch, lol, I would change a bit of the coloring, but design wise it's what I've wished for.

End of Summer/Beginning of Fall

Mobat, Red Hiss, Blue Trouble Bubble, a bunch of figures.

Now, my question:

Steve, why am I doing your Job? PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR THREAD, ARSEHOLE!

:shifty

:lol

EagleEyeSteve
06-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Stands, probably decent. Though I don't see as much a need for them on the Joe side given nearly all the releases to date (minus a few exclusives) have had stands packed in. But if hasbro starts dropping the stands, we'll more than likely see some offered online.
Weapon packs, don't bet on it.

That's the years of funkiness catching up with you

First, the Firebat is an all new mold, from what I've heard. The original had been so heavily retooled, remolded and and otherwise over used over the years that what was left really wasn't anything like our old Firebat. Plus size issues.
I've strongly suspected that there is enough room to "recess" the seats on both the jets, and that is likely what Hasbro did, maybe shave off a few millimeters around the cockpit. Basically, they retooled the jets, but used as much as they could from previous releases.
So both should work fine with 25th figures

First wave of DVD Battle Packs (Mass Device and Revenge of Cobra) are due to hit retail any time now, though most markets will see these in number come the August resets. Wave 2 (Pyramid of Darkness and Arise Serpentor) are due around October with the final set (Best of) due in November. These will probably not be carried over into the new year.

The Ultimate Battle Pack is a Target exclusive modeled after the similar concept used by the Star Wars team last year to great success. The pack will be released in November for $50 and feature:
The Mobat, Crimson HISS tank, Cobra Commander's pimpin blue Trouble Bubble, and 8 figures-
Stalker w/ JUMP (dark green camo)
Steeler (desert style)
Short Fuze
Flint in desert style was shown in early Hisstank pics, but was removed at one point during the con and people who went are saying he was removed, but yojoe's report indicates 8 figures, so Flint may still be in the set, or he might get replaced with a higher core like Duke or Snake Eyes.
Cobra Commander (looked a lot like the Cartoon repaint out on shelves)
Destro (IG mold in v1 colors, Stevey wants this figure BIG TIME)
Hiss Driver (red w/ silver pads)
Cobra Officer or Trooper (grey with red and black details)

EagleEyeSteve
06-30-2008, 11:37 PM
During the Convention, "Accessories Pack" was listed as an upcoming item. Whether or not it's for 12" figures or 4" has yet to be declared. Stay tuned.
The "Vintage Accessory Packs" being mentioned are part of the gaggle of Walmart 12" exclusive junk.

Steve, why am I doing your Job? PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR THREAD, ARSEHOLE!
l
Two minutes ya ass scratchin' ape! And my answers were more informative!

C.I.A.D.
06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
:lol

Hammered37
07-01-2008, 02:05 AM
A few questions, first, has the sales of the 25th anniversary line stayed strong over the last year? has it increased or dipped?
second, what's your take on Hasbro deep sixing the "classic line" next year in favor of the movie line, even beyond the movie.
And last ( hey I'm trying to milk this for all it's worth ) do you think Hasbro has a cutoff point for the vintage line, meaning, they'll stop making the classic line once they hit a certain years figures ( 1987, 1988, or anything above those years )
Thanks.

EagleEyeSteve
07-01-2008, 03:53 AM
A few questions, first, has the sales of the 25th anniversary line stayed strong over the last year? has it increased or dipped?
I really can't answer that, because I don't have access to that kind of info. My observations are that sales are just as good as last year as the local Wally World IS getting more product than last year, but it is selling out just as fast. Plus you factor in the extra comic pack assortment (which contrary to most complaints, IS selling, at least around here) which is probably selling as well in comparison to singles as the STar Wars packs, Joe is making more money than last year.
The product slated for release indicates sales and retailer support are there for some time yet. This is the first time ever that I can recall Joe product being hard to find, and I know Hasbro really isn't one to short change if they can help it. That is a good thing, IMO.

second, what's your take on Hasbro deep sixing the "classic line" next year in favor of the movie line, even beyond the movie.
Well, I kinda expected it myself. All evidence from other brands from the past, oh, 5-10 years supports the notion that during a movie promotion year, most to all of the product Hasbro produces will tie into that movie. That is just good business.
HOWEVER, we have no indication of what Hasbro plans to do AFTER the movie. GI Joe: Resolute is a whole new venture for Hasbro as a company, but I just can't believe that they don't have at least hopes of making a more mainstream cartoon, especially in light of the enormous success Transformers Animated has seen, even before the toys hit shelves!

If the movie is as big a hit as everyone at Hasbro and Paramount are hoping, I have no doubt the 25th/Modern toyline will resume sometime after the movie, and relative success of the line using these retro themes will likely be a factor. I'd guess that retro-themed product would be back on the shelves no later that fall 2010 maybe even at the start of 2010 depending on toy sales of movie product.

And last ( hey I'm trying to milk this for all it's worth ) do you think Hasbro has a cutoff point for the vintage line, meaning, they'll stop making the classic line once they hit a certain years figures ( 1987, 1988, or anything above those years )
Thanks.
I think Hasbro has proven with products like the Legion Storm Shadow (based on his 2004 figure), Python Officer (from 1989), Scarface (a dead character from the early comic days), Red Ninja and Ninja Ku/Storm Shadow (both based on international only figures), Red STar (a 1991 figure), Wraith (comic character from 2005), and original concepts like the ParaViper, Bazooka Trooper, and OG13 Duke that NOTHING is really off limits with this line, more so that they've dropped 25th logo and started branching out.

I think the biggest hurdle for any character in getting an update fall to several factors:
1. Marketability- Does the character look cool? Does the character figure looks visually interesting? (This is an issue with the original 13 so many clamor for, visually, they are a really boring group of figures and the half that made it to single cards are all vastly different visually) Do they fill a function (which also leads to issues like how doctors/scientist are often NOT the most exciting of figures)? Does this character/function bring something new and different to the table?
2. Crossover appeal- Is there appeal for both the longtime collector and kids? As much as fans decry another Duke or Snake Eyes or Cobra Commander Hasbro has done a good job in adding SOMETHING to each release to make these oft used characters desirable to the collector while keeping them available for the average kid (the toon jetpack and mass device crystals are good examples of collector oriented additions to core characters). Fans may not have cared for Croc Master or Wraith, but you cannot deny they are very cool sinister looking figures. Hasbro has made and sold dozens of figures based around about 10 minutes of the STar Wars Cantina scene based solely around the idea of selling freaky aliens, and not just to collectors! That said, characters like Serpentor and Buzzer are clearly geared more towards the collector crowd.
3. Cost- Hasbro only has so much money to work with, and this factor applies to ALL their toylines. Wave 4 08 had, in my estimate, only 2 figures worth of new tooling, most of which was centered on the Snake Eyes Parka figure. But by spreading the tooling out among different heads, arms, and accessories, Hasbro brought us 5 extra figures that had something for collectors (the mass device crystals, cartoon baronness, a Flint with workable arms, a new version of Roadblock) and kids (Flint, RB and CC all fall into the core character catagory).
For all the complaints fans make about Hasbro "fixing" the figures, they only have so much money to go around. Those fixed molds cost money, and if the product is selling out using "subpar" parts, why fix it? Especially when that money could be used to make a new head (HISS Driver?) or new feature (the removable CG head).
4. Time- Hasbro only has so many slots in a given year for these figures, and only so much money to make them. Not only that, but retailers and brand recognition demand at least 1/4 to 1/3 of the line be devoted to the handful of "core and recognizable" characters.
By this Christmas, we'll have gotten over 100 figures in the modern GI Joe line. We'll have covered (in some form) all unique characters but one of the 82 line, all but one of the 83 line, all but four of the 84 line, all but 8 of the 85 line, plus we'll have gotten many unique and original figures like comic pack Storm Shadow (shirtless), Para Viper, Zartan (first figure based on his DDP modern look), and many more. We've gotten figures many thought we'd never see like Wraith, Scarface, Croc Master, hell, we're getting freakin' NEMESIS ENFORCER, man!
Plus we'll get at least 2 waves of singles plus comic packs and vehicles between January and April, which is MORE than enough to get us pretty damn close to wrapping off the first 4 series of figure, plus original stuff and stuff from later years.

Not at all bad for a line that was barely a retail blip 2 years ago.

BlackDragon
07-01-2008, 04:31 AM
Steve, in your expert opinion, do u really believe if a store will pick them up as hasbro has stated, that they would really be interested in making a flagg, terror drome or any sized playset like that again?

EagleEyeSteve
07-01-2008, 05:00 AM
Steve, in your expert opinion, do u really believe if a store will pick them up as hasbro has stated, that they would really be interested in making a flagg, terror drome or any sized playset like that again?

If a retailer wanted them, and Hasbro could still make them, then yes, I believe Hasbro would be quite willing to make a largescale playset for the GI Joe brand.

But I don't believe that will ever happen. Well, the Flagg (or similar sized stuff like the Defiant) will certainly never happen again, the market just isn't there on any level and from a retail point of view, they are simply far too large. Later year stuff like the Rolling Thunder are out because there is really no marketability to them, plus Hasbro's recent ROCC works on largely the same level, is already pretty much compatible, AND is more readily available.

BUT, I do believe that if the movie does well as do the big Star Wars offerings this year, we could see playsets again. The Terrordrome I believe has decent chances because it is fairly iconic to the brand, the big reason I think we haven't seen it in the past has to do with lost molds than anything else, but the 83 and 92 HQ playsets I think are safe ones to try again.
But a LOT of factors will have to fall into place, and at minimum, unless they do something for the GI Joe movie, we're not looking at playsets for another 2-3 years at least.

PusViper
07-01-2008, 08:38 AM
The "Vintage Accessory Packs" being mentioned are part of the gaggle of Walmart 12" exclusive junk.

When are those "set" to "hit" retail?

Hammered37
07-01-2008, 04:23 PM

Not sure anyone can answer this one, Steve or anyone else can take a shot at this one, back in the 80s I remember seeing in Sears catalogues stuff like the Flagg and Terrordrome going for nearly $100 ( if I remember correctly )
If Hasbro were to release a new Flagg, Defiant or Terror drome, what's the price of these babies in 2008?
A huge monster like Walmart would want to sell these at what price?
I'd like to know how much money the gang on this board would be willing to pay for all three of these.

The Pub Landlord
07-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Do you think theys any chance of anything hitting the euro markets?

Sockhead
07-01-2008, 09:49 PM
People were saying that Hasbro has already decided who will be in the Hall of fame even before the poll took place, but now we see that neither Duke nor CC are present in the list, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Sockhead
07-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Another question.
Do you think that the GI Joe line will reveal new future products at SDCC or because SDCC and Joecon were so close together we may witness only the same products that appeared in Joecon?

EagleEyeSteve
07-02-2008, 02:20 AM
When are those "set" to "hit" retail?
In the "fall". Really, with Walmart, exclusives kinda hit when they hit and there is never a guarantee you'll ever see the damn things, or if you do, it may be weeks after everyone else has. Best advice is to keep an eye out come September or October. Hisstank will likely be the first to post any sightings for them, but the 12" stuff just isn't that high a priority for us RAH guys.

Do you think theys any chance of anything hitting the euro markets?
Right now, probably not. Depending on hype for the GI Joe movie, you MIGHT see some singles or something filter out early next year (maybe Hasbro will use REsolute to kick off something over there, I don't know), but the line's recent history over in the Euro markets has frankly sucked. But expect to see a healthy amount of product hit next summer to tie in with the GI Joe feature film.

People were saying that Hasbro has already decided who will be in the Hall of fame even before the poll took place, but now we see that neither Duke nor CC are present in the list, what are your thoughts on the matter?
I firmly believe that enough votes were cast among the 80,000 or so people that these all are selections I believe as something fans would pick. Over half the list consists of "rare figures" (Flint, Zartan, Firefly, SE w/Timber are all considered rare to some degree by most) or troops (CG, BAT, Viper). Beachhead is the only figure I'd call an oddball, but he seems popular enough that he didn't lag on pegs like most of wave 2 07's offerings tended to (or still do in some cases). And fans can never get enough of v1 Storm Shadow it seems. Keep in mind that these were likely combined through every 10 count (each voter had 10 selections). Which again points to the fact at least half the list is made up of figures considered rare, not necessarily good (compared to even SE v1 or Storm Shadow wave 4, both are MUCH Better figures than Flint, especially using the same tooling sets as his first release)
The big problems I had with Hall of Heroes is that a majority of votes were likely influenced more by the rarity of the figure or the hope that the figure might be improved (which may or may not happen) rather than the strength of the character or figure. That and 1/3 of the selection were figures we had no idea what they looked like.

Another question.
Do you think that the GI Joe line will reveal new future products at SDCC or because SDCC and Joecon were so close together we may witness only the same products that appeared in Joecon?
I'm certain SDCC will show us a few new products, hasbro does try to spread the love around and SDCC is attended by a magnitude more people than any Joecon likely ever will.
My "sure fire picks" to see at SDCC will be Combat heroes and wave 7 08. Maybe Mighty Muggs, but I'd be surprised to see much else.

BlackDragon
07-02-2008, 04:59 PM
When are we getting this bat with the damaged head and other accessories? I thought it might be with the Arise Serpentor Arise box set but i didn't see the accessories at joe con.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/?mode=view&album=GIJoe%2F2008%2FBasic_Figures&pic=GI-Joe-3.75-BAT.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0

EagleEyeSteve
07-02-2008, 09:09 PM
When are we getting this bat with the damaged head and other accessories? I thought it might be with the Arise Serpentor Arise box set but i didn't see the accessories at joe con.

Hasbro has confirmed at the Con that the damaged BAT will see release in the first quarter of 2009. My suspicion is a comic pack set based around issue 41 which will come with Dr. Mindbender or Lady Jaye.

Killer 1
07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Do you know the exact reasoning behind Hasbro scrapping the 'G.I. Joe: The Movie" DVD boxset? I heard murmers of 'licensing issues', but that was before Hasbro bought the rights to the G.I. Joe Sunbow cartoons.

EagleEyeSteve
07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Do you know the exact reasoning behind Hasbro scrapping the 'G.I. Joe: The Movie" DVD boxset? I heard murmers of 'licensing issues', but that was before Hasbro bought the rights to the G.I. Joe Sunbow cartoons.

Actually, Hasbro's probably had the rights to GI Joe for some time, given the webisodes and such they continue to play. They had the rights for the cartoon locked down by the time they even announced the Battle Packs.

The only real licensing issue I know of concerns Sgt. Slaughter.

But, the reason I had heard (from Toy Fair I think when someone asked why the boxsets had changed) was that Hasbro didn't feel the movie presented the brand in the best light. Which I can understand, after all, nearly all of your core characters are taken out of the picture or marginalized (if they are even there, like Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow), and your big bad terrorist organization is portrayed as a result of a race of Himilayan snake men.
Compared to the comic, the upcoming movie, and even the cartoon series prior and AFTER (once DiC made CC a man again, his condition and origins were never mentioned again) Cobra La is a complete "out of left field" deal.

Hasbro and its licensors have pretty much ignored Cobra La, and as is, the upcoming Nemesis "Immortal" and Falcon comic pack will likely have an entirely different origin to Nemesis, and likely being are only nod to the movie.

In addition, outside of Falcon, Jinx, and Tunnel Rat, none of the new characters made any lasting impression on the toyline. Plus, with Falcon and NEmesis coming in the comic pack, I think Hasbro may have felt that the limited use of Pythona or a Royal Guard didn't necessitate the costs of the molds.

Deep Six
07-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Speaking of Jinx..

Given the fact that the character's had several figures in the past, do you think we'll see 25th style figure?

Firefly86
07-03-2008, 03:42 AM
If the DVD boxsets are sucessful, what do you think the chances of seeing more of them, using two part episodes or episodes that focused on a small group of Joes? Do you think there is a chance of the DiC episodes getting a DVD sets as well?

BlackDragon
07-03-2008, 04:28 AM
If hasbro wants to stay clear of cobra la then why do they keep making sweet ass customs at these cons. First i saw Pythona and then i saw that kick ass Golobulous. God i want that Golobulous.

EagleEyeSteve
07-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Speaking of Jinx..

Given the fact that the character's had several figures in the past, do you think we'll see 25th style figure?
Eventually, I think so. But if may well not be until after the movie unless Hasbro slips her into a comic pack.

If the DVD boxsets are sucessful, what do you think the chances of seeing more of them, using two part episodes or episodes that focused on a small group of Joes? Do you think there is a chance of the DiC episodes getting a DVD sets as well?
Hasbro kind of has that covered with the "Best of" set. But I don't think the DVD Battle Packs will ever be offered as a regular assortment going forward. If we get more DVD packs, I expect to see single assortment items like the Ninja Battles set and an associated marketing push with it.

DiC, we'll probably be lucky to ever see the episodes again, much less anything else. I don't know where the rights stand on DiC episodes, or how Hasbro claims work. And considering the numerous times DiC has been reorganized, sold, and re-righted, I doubt many others do either.

For the record, I would do unspeakable sexual favors for an Operation Dragonfire boxset with the miniseries, Scoop, LowLight, Gnawgahyde, and Alley Viper :watchout

If hasbro wants to stay clear of cobra la then why do they keep making sweet ass customs at these cons. First i saw Pythona and then i saw that kick ass Golobulous. God i want that Golobulous.
There is a fan for every aspect of every brand. I KNOW there are a lot of fans around who like Cobra La, or at least aspects of it.

But, Hasbro is increasingly careful how their brands are portrayed. GI Joe is a military fantasy brand. But that fantasy largely extends to "near future" science fiction. Cobra La, as it stands, does not fit into the military fantasy GI Joe and Hasbro have spent over a decade developing. The closest we got was Valor vs. Venom, and even then, of the 80 or so figures produced, only 4 could really be considered true embodiments of the concept.
So even though there may be Cobra La fans on the development team, marketing won't let them do Cobra La because it doesn't fit with how Hasbro is portraying the brand.

I think what ultimately killed the set was the fact Cobra La is self limiting from an economic standpoint. Pythona, Golobulus, and the Royal Guard are the prime figures for any Cobra La set, but all of them would require such a large amount of unique tooling, the development team couldn't figure out how to reuse the tooling, and in the case of Golobulus, they likely couldn't reuse the tooling at all.
Even Nemesis Enforcer was redesigned to be a bit more grounded and they used the rather bland Serpentor figure as a base.

Firefly86
07-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Whats the "Best Of" Set?

When the movie figures start appearing on shelves, do you think that characters not in the movie will not be produced until afterwards or will the movie line will incorperate other characters?

EagleEyeSteve
07-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Whats the "Best Of" Set?

When the movie figures start appearing on shelves, do you think that characters not in the movie will not be produced until afterwards or will the movie line will incorperate other characters?

I'm assuming you're talking about the DVD set as some online retailers were posting one of the waves 5 08 revisions cases as a "Best of" case given most of the case was 2007 repacks (including Flint, Firefly and Zartan).
The Best of DVD Battle Pack, all I know right now is that it will finish out the Mass Device, will be released in November, and will likely feature 4 figures from 5 episodes. Hasbro has yet to release anything about the set in regards to figures or episodes they selected.
As to which figure? I'm guessing Duke and/or Flint are all but certain given both were major factors in both seasons. Depending on which episodes, highly probably selections also include Shipwreck, Beachhead, Mainframe, Dr. Mindbender and Zarana and a cartoon colored Crimson Guard.

I think a highly like set would include:
Duke
Flint
cartoon CG
Zarana (if episodes from season 2 are selected, Hasbro has shown affinity for Computer Complications and Raise the Flagg, both feature Zarana heavily)

mizak23
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
With Tripwire and Dusty on the way, what do you think the chances are of finishing Tiger Force out.

EagleEyeSteve
07-06-2008, 12:54 AM
With Tripwire and Dusty on the way, what do you think the chances are of finishing Tiger Force out.

First, I have to say there are several layers to this question. On one hand, will we finish out the Tiger Force characters? I'd say there is a good chance of that as all we are only Recondo, Lifeline, and Skystriker away from all the CHARACTERS being made (though to be honest, I'm doubting you'll see a 25th Skystriker figure unless part of a exclusive).

Now, will we see them all in Tiger Force colorations? That is iffy. Granted Tiger Force has a healthy following, but I'm doubting with the movie coming up we'll see all of them in Tiger Force colors. But Hasbro has a way of pulling some nifty exclusives out of thin air, so my bets are a Tiger Force set down the line (maybe do a Tiger Force and Night Force sets as online exclusives?), but we may not see all characters in it.

Victor Von Doombot
07-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Why has target raised their prices on their joes?

aci1985
07-07-2008, 01:00 AM
What kind of troops or accomplices to the Adventure Team set do you expect as far as Dr. Venom goes? When they do the series, he'll be the villain, but I'm also hoping we'll get some unique troops.

EagleEyeSteve
07-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Why has target raised their prices on their joes?

Because they can. Seriously, and if I recall, Indy also went up. REtailers are free to alter their prices as they see fit. Back when Sigma Six Soldiers first started shipping, Target priced theirs at $12.99, compared to Walmart's and Hasbro's MSRP of $9.99
When the fall resets and the increased sales associated with them, the price dropped down.

So unless Hasbro's MSRP went up (which I doubt), this is a Target only decision. We'll know for sure this fall if Walmart's price for Joes exceeds $7

EagleEyeSteve
07-07-2008, 06:54 PM
What kind of troops or accomplices to the Adventure Team set do you expect as far as Dr. Venom goes? When they do the series, he'll be the villain, but I'm also hoping we'll get some unique troops.

I'm not terribly familiar with Adventure TEam, to be honest. My suspicion is that you will probably see "retro" villians and creatures, but I doubt you'll see a "Cobra style" army builder.
I just don't think the AT line fits into that.

Firefly86
07-13-2008, 01:37 AM
I read somewhere the during the movie line, classic or non-movie figures would be produced. Is this true? If so will the figures be portrayed in their classic gear or will they be closer to the movie uniforms in apperance?

aci1985
07-13-2008, 02:18 AM
I had heard they would do some figures, but focus heavily on the movie line, as to push it with the budget and focus they have. My question though, is will we see Cobra soldiers, perhaps in a different look then want we are used to?

I'm anxious to see how they take Cobra Commander, Destro, and others who seem to not wear masks and transform them into toys where we are used to them having masks.

Deep Six
07-13-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm anxious to see how they take Cobra Commander, Destro, and others who seem to not wear masks and transform them into toys where we are used to them having masks.

My guess would be to use the actors' likeness, with a removable helmet.

aci1985
07-13-2008, 09:25 PM
That's my guess too, but I don't think any one sees Cobra Commander as Gordon Levitt. Not that I'm complaining about getting a younger Cobra Commander, I'm just saying.

As for Destro, I don't picture him begin that old, so again, just wondering.

EagleEyeSteve
07-15-2008, 03:04 AM
I read somewhere the during the movie line, classic or non-movie figures would be produced. Is this true? If so will the figures be portrayed in their classic gear or will they be closer to the movie uniforms in apperance?
I am certain that we will see many a familiar name reappear in the movie toyline, even if they don't appear in the movie itself.
There has been a lot of crosstalk on this issue, but MY PERSONAL BELIEF is that any "non-movie" character will be made to fit into the movie style. That doesn't mean classic elements won't be maintained, but I do not expect "80s Joe update" of any characters.
But I know Shipwreck got cut from the film, but I'll bet money he will appear in the toyline in his movie style (like how Wreckage and Arcee were in the TF film, but were removed but still made it to the toyline)

I had heard they would do some figures, but focus heavily on the movie line, as to push it with the budget and focus they have. My question though, is will we see Cobra soldiers, perhaps in a different look then want we are used to?

Trust me, come June-ish 2009, the movie will be the CORE focus of the brand. Contrary to a number of reports, I fully expect the retro goodness to stop once the movie toys start to ship. That is simply the way Hasbro and the retailers work it seems. Doesn't mean we might not see some 25th figures slip out in "Then and now" style two packs or store exclusive multipacks though.

Design-wise, I haven't seen anything (neither has anyone else outside the production crew :p ), but I've heard the Neo Vipers (the trooper's replacement) as a cross between the Viper and original trooper. And we will see many of them, and it wouldn't surprise me if Hasbro sculpted a new head for a Crimson Guard or Officer.

With CC and Destro, a likely scenario to me is that Hasbro will simply make two figures. Even if the only difference is a different head, Hasbro can make more money from two figures, than one figure with an extra accessory.

Wildbill73
07-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Spaeaking of the movie figures is the supposed "listings" on some other boards for the specific figs in the line accurate??

EagleEyeSteve
07-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Spaeaking of the movie figures is the supposed "listings" on some other boards for the specific figs in the line accurate??

Could you post a link (or PM me)? I've largely avoided the movie forums as I kind of went through the same BS with Transformers last year.

I think from a logic standpoint, you can expect 2-3 (minimum) different figures around all "core" figures from the film.

aci1985
07-20-2008, 03:11 AM
Just went out shopping, and of course, stopped in to the toy aisles of K-mart and Target....found two surprising things, at K-mart they had a new shelf label up for the 10 pack battle pack for GI Joe....any idea what this is, and maybe I've missed an announcement somewhere.

Also, on Target I noticed a shelf tag for a 14.99 battle pack for Joe, no items in the spot, same thing, did I miss an announcement somewhere? The descriptions on the shelf tags don't seem to match what I remember hearing from the con, and I know how to read shelf tags, so....any ideas?

******Update for myself, just realized that the battle packs at Target are the DVD battlepacks, fits the price range...forget about them....so now I just need to know about the ten pack...at K-mart of all places.

Wildbill73
07-20-2008, 03:57 AM
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-live-action-movie/5937-g-i-joe-movie-unofficial-toy-list.html

here ya go stevey

ScrapIron-Scavanger
07-20-2008, 05:08 AM
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-live-action-movie/5937-g-i-joe-movie-unofficial-toy-list.html

here ya go stevey

Woa, I missed seeing that list, can't wait to see some of those playsets!

EagleEyeSteve
07-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Just went out shopping, and of course, stopped in to the toy aisles of K-mart and Target....found two surprising things, at K-mart they had a new shelf label up for the 10 pack battle pack for GI Joe....any idea what this is, and maybe I've missed an announcement somewhere.

If you missed an announcement, I did too. I'm wondering if the the "10 pack" isn't an error on Kmart's part for either the DVD Packs or the old 5 packs (which Kmart still carries).

Given the tag appeared nearly 6 months ago, and we heard NOTHING at the Joecon for any sort of Kmart/KB/Sears exclusive, I would chalk that up to a Kmart irregularity. One possibility is that Kmart might be getting a BOGO of the old 5 packs around fall (which would, indeed, make them 10 packs).

here ya go stevey

Thank you!
As far as the actual listing....I can see all those. A couple may not make it out (like what I'm assuming are Baroness alias's), but I would also add that we'll probably get more than a few repaints from those.

In regards to the playsets, the MARS base just screams a retool of the Cobra Mountain/Geonosis Arena playset I think that one is all but certain. I AM doubting we'll get the other two, simply given I've not seen that kind of support for Joe in some time, but who knows.

aci1985
08-03-2008, 01:06 AM
This question might not be answerable, however, just throwing it out there. Why haven't I seen any waves hit retailers in my area since wave 8? I've been checking stores on a weekly basis, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Toys'R'Us, hell even some KB Toys and nothing, not even residual of the figures people might not rush to pick up.

I've seen none of them hit up this way, online stores pre-orders are sold out all the way to wave 11 for some sites, I think it's gonna be tough to find 'em.

EagleEyeSteve
08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
This question might not be answerable, however, just throwing it out there. Why haven't I seen any waves hit retailers in my area since wave 8? I've been checking stores on a weekly basis, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Toys'R'Us, hell even some KB Toys and nothing, not even residual of the figures people might not rush to pick up.

I've seen none of them hit up this way, online stores pre-orders are sold out all the way to wave 11 for some sites, I think it's gonna be tough to find 'em.
Keep in mind all areas are different, and in larger areas like yours, it is entirely possible that unless you are hitting all those stores daily, you may well miss a case restock here and there. Between kids, parents, scalpers, casual and hardcore collectors, there are a LOT of potential buyers and the market has yet to really hit a "comfort level" where even old product has reached a saturation level.

The only wave to hit since wave 4 08 (wave 8 counting from wave 1 07) was wave 5, which is still shipping and I've personally seen a whopping two cases stocked at my local Wally world (and a case of Wave 3 2008, first run as well) in the past month.

Stores are still in the middle of their resets, they're clearing old product and not all markets have all the new products (for example, my local store just got in the DVD Battlepacks on Saturday, and they still have not gotten any of the Transformers Universe Voyagers or refreshed Iron Man figures). We haven't seen stores start the grand Christmas stock up, and probably won't until September or October.

But assuming stores have adjusted their numbers for ordering Joe this holiday season, we should be seeing ample numbers of the newer waves. As is, I'm still a bit surprised by how briskly the line is still moving in many markets.

aci1985
08-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Well, you are right about that, I'm not hitting each store every day, but I sti ll expected to hit to see some of the stuff left over, at least one or two items. I have finally seen the shelf tags for the battle packs, and some of the other stuff coming out as exclusive.

BlackDragon
08-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Steve what does it mean when stores put those little colored stickers over the price tags. I hit my target today and they had the little round color stickers on the 12 inch and single carded figure tags as well as some transformer stuff. They didn't have dates on them. Does this just mean stuff has been ordered?

EagleEyeSteve
08-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Steve what does it mean when stores put those little colored stickers over the price tags. I hit my target today and they had the little round color stickers on the 12 inch and single carded figure tags as well as some transformer stuff. They didn't have dates on them. Does this just mean stuff has been ordered?
I honestly don't know, I have never worked at Target, but that would be my guess, or they could indicate that the items were on backorder and if Target needed additional space for other lines, those would be the slots to use.

aci1985
08-05-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm pretty sure that it means they have the items ordered, their are two differnt colors though, one means instock but not on the shelf, one means its out of stock and ordered. I'm not sure which color is which though.

EagleEyeSteve
09-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Bump :shifty

ScrapIron-Scavanger
09-08-2008, 02:44 AM

um, my mind is blank at the moment........ok why doesn't hasbro do Apac's "build a base" idea similiar to the Mass Device sceme?

EagleEyeSteve
09-09-2008, 11:01 PM
um, my mind is blank at the moment........ok why doesn't hasbro do Apac's "build a base" idea similiar to the Mass Device sceme?

Because it wouldn't be all that impressive for the cost Hasbro would allot to it. Star Wars fans have been asking for a similar thing for years, and Hasbro's response pretty much boils down to "it wouldn't be impressive at the cost, the numbers don't work out, efforts would be better spent on new tools they can reuse more easily"

Sockhead
09-09-2008, 11:23 PM
What do you think are the chances that we will see 25th incarnation of later characters beyond '86 such as Hit&run, Chuckles, big boa,Tunnel rat, Cesspool or shockwave for example (possibly even within the movie line)? Since some of them are quite popular.

EagleEyeSteve
09-12-2008, 03:05 AM
What do you think are the chances that we will see 25th incarnation of later characters beyond '86 such as Hit&run, Chuckles, big boa,Tunnel rat, Cesspool or shockwave for example (possibly even within the movie line)? Since some of them are quite popular.

Within the movie line? Unlikely (at least, not in a retro design).

But after the movie line when they start up the retro stuff again? Depends on the character and where the brand goes. Tunnel Rat is a shoe in, IMO. He's been such a vital character to Hasbro that I'm surprised we haven't already seen him. Chuckles and Shockwave are also very good candidates, IMO, largely because tooling exists to make it fairly easy to do both. But to be honest, it is hard to give an answer as Hasbro can and will throw some hefty curves (I mean, come on! Red Star? Croc Master? Wraith? Whoda thunk it?)

ScrapIron-Scavanger
09-21-2008, 07:52 PM
What is your opinion steve on a big 'cool' classic playset being offered by Target? (i.e. Terror Drome, '82 HQ, Flagg,)

I noticed that they have stepped up on the vehicle offerings with their latest set, The Ultimate Battle set with a price point of $50. And so far all of there offerings have been hits (and getting the colors right on, unlike TRU,) so out of all of the vendors out there, I do see Target as the most likely. Do you agree? Or do you have some other wisdom to share?

EagleEyeSteve
09-30-2008, 02:27 AM
What is your opinion steve on a big 'cool' classic playset being offered by Target? (i.e. Terror Drome, '82 HQ, Flagg,)

I noticed that they have stepped up on the vehicle offerings with their latest set, The Ultimate Battle set with a price point of $50. And so far all of there offerings have been hits (and getting the colors right on, unlike TRU,) so out of all of the vendors out there, I do see Target as the most likely. Do you agree? Or do you have some other wisdom to share?

ANY playset would still be a ways off, IMO. Right now, anything above $50 is a tough sell right now outside of select brands and situations. We may get a $40-ish playset with the Joe movie, but anything retro will depend heavily on how the movie does next year, and how they may factor into future marketing (the 03 MCC DID appear in the Valor vs. Venom movie, for example).
The Flagg will never be released again, PERIOD.

I do feel TRU is jmore likely an outlet for any BIG releases, as they've actually been the ones to carry large numbers of big releases across multiple brands for many years.
Remember the 92 playset, MCC, Moray, Sigma Six ROCC were all TRU exclusives, not to mention carrying the large X-Wing, AT AT, TIE Interceptor and MANY $30+ releases. And more importantly, carrying them during the year and NOT just during the Christmas rush (when Target carries all their high dollar exclusives)

ScrapIron-Scavanger
09-30-2008, 02:32 AM
But lately TRU has NOT been carring any "special" vehicles and after the fiasco of the MCC, Moray's, and '92 HQ's (and funky colored X-30s and Rattlers) that gathered dust and did not move because they are not what we wanted. Where Target has been doing the exclusive vehicle assortment with the Hiss, Rattler, and X-30 which are flying off the shelves.

Sgt Slaughter
09-30-2008, 06:09 AM
STevo.. I never ask much questions of you.. but will we be seeing any Vintage style figures made anymore? or are we stuck with the 25th style figures for a while.. cause Im not a big fan of them. I want vintage style bak damnits. :lol.

EagleEyeSteve
09-30-2008, 10:43 PM
But lately TRU has NOT been carring any "special" vehicles and after the fiasco of the MCC, Moray's, and '92 HQ's (and funky colored X-30s and Rattlers) that gathered dust and did not move because they are not what we wanted. Where Target has been doing the exclusive vehicle assortment with the Hiss, Rattler, and X-30 which are flying off the shelves.
I said that TRU is just as likely given past experiences in other brands. Star Wars IS stocked in hefty number at TRU and in large pricepoints. The success of the current crop of exclusives (the troop builder sets and SRO sets) will likely be a big factor in whether TRU starts to carry the big stuff again. Even then, as a brand, I think GI Joe is a good ways off from being able to get the retailer support for much beyond a $30 offering (outside of the support a massive motion picture gives), depending on how the film performs next year.

STevo.. I never ask much questions of you.. but will we be seeing any Vintage style figures made anymore? or are we stuck with the 25th style figures for a while.. cause Im not a big fan of them. I want vintage style bak damnits. :lol.
The GI Joe Collectors club will be the ONLY venue of vintage style figures from here on out. Period.
One of the problems I saw with the line since 2002 was there really wasn't a defined direction in any aspect of the brand. You had at any given point, 2-3 different figure styles on the pegs in the SAME style packaing. The cartoons were just the old Sunbow series and the view presented differed from the Direct to Vid cartoons, which in turn were different from the comic pack representation, which in turn differed from the pack in comics. And the figures only matched the presented medium half the time!
With the 25th, for better or worse, Hasbro has something of a unified vision of the brand.

Another issue with the vintage style figures is that the whole deal has been getting rather time consuming to dig up the parts, and in increasing cases, tool new parts for loss pieces. MC has the time to do that, Hasbro really doesn't given deadlines for production and such.
Some of the most popular/fan favorite figures (SE v2, CC v1, Destro v1, Ripcord, etc) are simply gone, and the cost to remake them is comparable to a brand new figure, only the brand new 25th style figures, Hasbro can get a LOT more mileage from.

MegsTriggerMan
10-01-2008, 01:25 AM

I can actually answer this one being an ex target manager ... these are "research" dots .. dept managers "are suppose to" research their depts once a week .. scanning any outs or critical lows .. a critical low meaning anything less then one item per facing .. ie if there is 3 peg hooks and there are only 2 figs up that a critical low ... ... while there is no actual ordering involved as Target is all automated shipping its is mainly to make sure counts are correct and something isnt lost in the back room ... just recently i just had to go into my old target and get a count fixed because they had a 24 count on joe figs but empty pegs hooks ... and no back room locations ... this was from when wave 5 first hit and the figs werent scanning in a lot of stores ... so those 3 cases were still in the system therefore no new figs had been shipped ... ... so i had one of my old coworkers zero out the counts and BAm in about 10 days i had a few new cases of joes in the store...

ScrapIron-Scavanger
10-05-2008, 04:23 AM
I remember a couple years back you talked about a very cool cobra jet comming out that would resemble a Soviet jet. Instead of a very cool jet, we got the Night Adder :puke :

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/04/nightadder/iso.jpg

Was this the jet you were talking about, or was it a different jet that got mothballed before production? A jet that we might be able to see in the near future for cobra?

EagleEyeSteve
10-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Was this the jet you were talking about, or was it a different jet that got mothballed before production? A jet that we might be able to see in the near future for cobra?
Oh no, no, no, no! When I still had Awesome Inside Sources (TM), I was told about a revamped Rattler, which would have been styled after the Fulcrum (though, elements of the design might have appeared on the Sigma Six Firebat). Initially planned for Robot Rebellion (which I still maintain could have really gotten the brand going had they stuck with the original plan), Hasbro moved to DTC for a 2006 release (where it would have been the big release that year, on par with the Rhino).

Those plans, obviosly, got scrapped when DTC failed to generate the sales Hasbro was hoping for, even after cutting production numbers in half.

At this point, I don't think we'll see much from that era revisited (I'm still sore that Hasbro still trots out the HISS 1 when the 2005 HISS is a superior vehicle in every way shape and form). And even if Hasbro did, nobody outside of Hasbro and a select few would even recognize them.

As is, I think the "near future" concepts being shown in the movie will be the format by which Hasbro designs future vehicles, and stuff like the Fulcrum and Su-27 are starting to become dated by this point.

EagleEyeSteve
10-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Another Q&A session is done, I'm bumping this thread in case anyone wants to know what I see "between" the lines of Hasbro's responses.

BW3 Viper
10-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Dear Eagle Eye Steve:

What are the chances of us seeing more multipacks of subteams like Tiger Force, Night Force, Python Patrol, Sky Patrol, Mission to Brazil, among any others and any chance of bigger vehicles such as the Dragon Fly, a Cobra Moray, HISS MK II, or even picking up the pieces from Master Collector and getting a Mauler MBT?

one other thing, a pet idea of mine, Drednok vehicle packs RAM/Stinger and FANG/Skyhawk from Sears. Those molds exist, we know that now with newer releases. Even if they were SDCC releases, what are those chances of seeing the light of day?

Grimlock
10-28-2008, 09:52 PM
:think I've always wanted to ask, "What are the nuts and bolts of the relationship between Hasbro and the Joe news sites that are out there?"

1. Where does our news begin in regards to Hasbro anyway? Sometimes it looks like its an official release/Q&A, and other times it looks like something under-the-table from China. :shifty

2. Why does site "A" get some nugget of info that site "B" doesn't get, and then a few months later on, it's the other way around?

3. I've heard the GICC say something about (paraphrased) being low on the "new-release update" food-chain due to some kind of legality issues, but (a.) other sites seem to get away with it all the time, and (b.) the GICC just scooped the Arctic HISS wave. . .right? :wha

4. What is the basic business end of a toy news site, and how does it work?

Thanks EEJ. :thumbsup

EagleEyeSteve
10-29-2008, 03:19 AM
Dear Eagle Eye Steve:

What are the chances of us seeing more multipacks of subteams like Tiger Force, Night Force, Python Patrol, Sky Patrol, Mission to Brazil, among any others and any chance of bigger vehicles such as the Dragon Fly, a Cobra Moray, HISS MK II, or even picking up the pieces from Master Collector and getting a Mauler MBT?

one other thing, a pet idea of mine, Drednok vehicle packs RAM/Stinger and FANG/Skyhawk from Sears. Those molds exist, we know that now with newer releases. Even if they were SDCC releases, what are those chances of seeing the light of day?
Hasbro can and will do just about anything given the right scenario. The boxsets are...iffy. For the most part, many of those (TF and Python Patrol in particular) feature a LOT of core characters that Hasbro could get more mileage from in a single carded or mass retail release.
Some, I could see as store exclusives, but it will largely depend on fan outcry.
Same with the Dreadnok vehicles, yes, the tools are already here and ready for 25th, but is anyone really asking for them?

Right now, the general vibes I'm getting from the various boards are:
More Troop builders
More vehicles
More RAH characters NOW NOW NOW
And that's where hasbro's been putting efforts, and why popular figures like the TeleViper and Outback end up as part of vehicle sets rather than singles.

One of things I got the impression of from Hasbro's Q&A session this time is that they may be trying to push another vehicle assortment out, basically using the Jets as a test run for something in the $30 range. This isn't unheard of as Target got the initial assortment of Adventure sets in 2004, 3 months before other retailers were allowed to stock them. And earlier this year, they got what basically amounted to the first wave of GI Joe vehicles of the 25th line.
If this comes to past, something like the Dragonfly or even Moray are feasible, IMO. But these will invariably be new molds or significant redesigns. Same situation with the Mauler, at this point, Hasbro is better off remaking the thing rather than try to convert the original, even then, Hasbro still has the old Patriot Grizzly around which would work just as well, IMO.
With the HISS, I see the Club maybe trotting it out (and it does work halfway well with the 25th figures), but I feel the v1 looks better, and the DTC model blows both the originals away in terms of features and design.

General rule of thumb: You want something like repaints? Make your voice heard, and get other boards to get in on it. Hasbro DOES listen, but if we don't say anything, how do they know? All said and done, everything you've mentioned is perfectly doable, but nobody is raising any ruckus FOR them.

:think I've always wanted to ask, "What are the nuts and bolts of the relationship between Hasbro and the Joe news sites that are out there?"

1. Where does our news begin in regards to Hasbro anyway? Sometimes it looks like its an official release/Q&A, and other times it looks like something under-the-table from China. :shifty

2. Why does site "A" get some nugget of info that site "B" doesn't get, and then a few months later on, it's the other way around?

3. I've heard the GICC say something about (paraphrased) being low on the "new-release update" food-chain due to some kind of legality issues, but (a.) other sites seem to get away with it all the time, and (b.) the GICC just scooped the Arctic HISS wave. . .right? :wha

4. What is the basic business end of a toy news site, and how does it work?

Thanks EEJ. :thumbsup
The nuts and bolts are complicated and I'm not a high enough gear to really know where and what they are ;)
Generally, the toylines we love are made by fans. And Hasbro, maybe more than any other mass retail toy maker, maintains a healthy relationship with numerous fansites. The feeling I get is that Hasbro frowns upon us knowing stuff too far in advance, but realizes there is little they can do to prevent it. We are largely good publicity for their products, and while collectors have never proven able to carry a line at retail, we ARE significant enough to warrant attention.

And a LOT of this stuff is very case-specific

1. Hasbro will release product information when they feel like it. A LOT of information we get on the fanside actually comes from the various retailers. Hasbro rarely puts an effort into announcing new assortments, just new product lines. Hasbro also has a PR department which releases images to retailers of its products for solicitation purposes, and many websites like Hisstank, TNI and others sign up for these. How, probably some mess we at CI are too lazy and/or drunk to do.
However, asian auction sites are a good source of new info as security is never foolproof. General rule of thumb is that if it doesn't look finished, then Hasbro isn't ready to show it.

2. Depends on sources and what the nugget is. This is often a case by case issue so I really can't answer without a more specific example.

3. Typically, the club's news comes straight from Hasbro. If Hasbro doesn't announce it in some capacity, then the club generally doesn't post it. However, being sanctioned by Hasbro has its perks as I recall they had first images of a significant number of single pack waves, not to mention the second batch of 2009 vehicles.

4. We at CI are largely what I would call a fan site. We have no sponsors and generally aren't that involved with the toy business side. A LOT of sites spend a lot of time social networking or being involved in the fandom long enough to generate a reputation. We do neither (that I know anyway)
JayC of Toy News International, or even our own CIAD, would be a better person to inquire about this issue.

BW3 Viper
10-29-2008, 03:31 AM
Just to be clear, I don't mind a repaint of something vintage ALA Tiger Force or Night Force since at least it is RAH in mind. Something like the majority of pointless releases like the Command Three Packs (Green Shirt Duke ANOTHER Cobra Commander battle helmet) or Comic Packs (Life preserver vest Shipwreck CC body Cobra Commander) that have no semblance to the line I cannot.

Thank you EES.

EagleEyeSteve
12-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Another round of Q and As, another zombie mega bump

Apacolypse
12-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Steve,

Whats the deal with the exclusives?

TRU reports across the boards are saying the latest wave of exclusive 3 packs are hit or miss in sightings...while the east coast (at least here in PA) is overflowing still with the first 3 packs - which I might add, TRU.com cancelled these pre-orders. :rant

Target....I just don't get. One out of every 3 reports shows that the UBP was on the shelf (even with Black Friday in consideration). My wife hit not one..but two Targets this Black Friday here...not on the shelf, no shelf tag...yet when she gave them the sku #.....WALLAH, they have them in the back.

I know GIJoe's downfall last time was contributed to lack of retail support....and retailers reports of lacking sales...BUT...how the hell do you expect to sell stuff if you never put it out for the normal customer to see??? Not every Mom and Dad surfs the internet message boards for an sku#....it just doesn't make sense to me.

BW3 Viper
12-02-2008, 05:10 AM
Dear EES,

When they get around to finally doing figures like Range Viper or SAW Viper, are they going to keep the weird color palettes on those figures, or try and fix them up a bit so the colors blend in better and are more eye pleasing?

EagleEyeSteve
12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Steve,

Whats the deal with the exclusives?

TRU reports across the boards are saying the latest wave of exclusive 3 packs are hit or miss in sightings...while the east coast (at least here in PA) is overflowing still with the first 3 packs - which I might add, TRU.com cancelled these pre-orders. :rant

Target....I just don't get. One out of every 3 reports shows that the UBP was on the shelf (even with Black Friday in consideration). My wife hit not one..but two Targets this Black Friday here...not on the shelf, no shelf tag...yet when she gave them the sku #.....WALLAH, they have them in the back.

Exclusives are kind of their own thing, from what I've seen. Stores will do whatever they want, however they want, to whatever they want in regards to "their" toys.

In the case of the TRU sets, the fact your area is still overflowing with wave 1 is probably the main reason you haven't seen wave 2. My suspicion is that there is probably still a very good supply of these things left, but it will likely take Christmas to clear out the older supply, letting the new stuff filter in.

In regards to Target...that is likely an employee issue. My understanding is that those were supposed to be out that week. From a retail POV (not collectors'), it makes ZERO sense to keep such a high dollar offering in the back during the busiest shopping day of the year. Retail workers, especially in toys, tend to apathetic at best, doubly so during the Christmas season.
Pretty much, there isn't much any of us can do, except be dilligent little collectors and all that.

Dear EES,

When they get around to finally doing figures like Range Viper or SAW Viper, are they going to keep the weird color palettes on those figures, or try and fix them up a bit so the colors blend in better and are more eye pleasing?

I think when they get to those figures, I think the pallets will skew towards keeping the fundamental color arangement. So on the Range Viper, if he had a bright yellow belt back in the day, a new one will either be yellow or at least a mustard shade.

While the colors make not make much sense from a function perspective, they are nonetheless visually interesting, which is very important in a line like GI Joe which tends to be biased heavily towards greens, browns, blacks, reds and blues.

AND with responses to Serpentor, Zartan, Dusty, and numerous other figures, fans have made it clear that they don't appreciated too much straying from how the toys were back in the day.

Ultra Magnus
12-03-2008, 01:50 AM
lack of retail support....and retailers reports of lacking sales

This leave me asking how viable retail really is in this day and age. I've noticed that places like BBTS seem to sell out multiple times before Walmart even gets it in stock . . . if they get it in stock. As much as I would rather pick items up at retail, does it seem that Hasbro might do better if they shifted some of their focus to online stores?

EagleEyeSteve
12-03-2008, 03:38 AM
This leave me asking how viable retail really is in this day and age. I've noticed that places like BBTS seem to sell out multiple times before Walmart even gets it in stock . . . if they get it in stock. As much as I would rather pick items up at retail, does it seem that Hasbro might do better if they shifted some of their focus to online stores?

All things considered, Hasbro has actually given a LOT of focus to collectors and online retailers, and has been quite willing to experiment with alternative venues of releasing toys. GI Joe's DTC endeaver a couple years ago being the ultimate proof of that (along with proving such a venture is not viable for a line like GI Joe, or most any other)

Problem is...retail will STILL compose a greater percentage of sales. TNI posted the results of a national survey from which collectors, COLLECTORS, still prefer to buy their stuff at traditional retail, 86% if those polled, actually. It's very easy to sell a few hundred cases of the newest wave, but Walmart alone will movie more than ten times that in a given month.

Ultra Magnus
12-03-2008, 08:23 PM
That makes sense. Kinda hard to tell. Retailers are very reluctant to put out new product it seems.

Do you have any inclings about the DC Universe Classics line? It seems like it's near-impossible to find them, and if a place has them in stock I've usually missed the one case they got. Meanwhile I see Marvel Legends figures all over the place. Maybe I'm just biased, but I'm a little jealous of Marvel fans. :wink

I guess what I'm asking is what do you think is the cause for the lack of DCUC at retail? Is it supply outstripping demand, a lack of retail support or possibly a mixture of both?

EagleEyeSteve
12-05-2008, 03:07 AM
That makes sense. Kinda hard to tell. Retailers are very reluctant to put out new product it seems.

Do you have any inclings about the DC Universe Classics line? It seems like it's near-impossible to find them, and if a place has them in stock I've usually missed the one case they got. Meanwhile I see Marvel Legends figures all over the place. Maybe I'm just biased, but I'm a little jealous of Marvel fans. :wink

I guess what I'm asking is what do you think is the cause for the lack of DCUC at retail? Is it supply outstripping demand, a lack of retail support or possibly a mixture of both?

When you say "new product", are you talking about filling empty pegs? Or putting out wave 13? AT the store level, 99.9999% of stores really don't give a shit WHAT is out there, so long as there are toys to be sold.

Don't be so hasty to be jealous of Marvel fans. Keep in mind the last full retail wave of Marvel Legends was the Hulk wave early this summer. Since then, all new assortments have been a store exclusive, aside from 2007 (!) leftovers. Now, all the focus seems to be on the new 3.75 Marvel line, which I'm suspecting will see greater success as it better fits the marketing pattern Hasbro has made so successive with Star Wars and GI Joe.

Right now, the big issue with DCUC is the fact Walmart is still iffy on carrying them after the poor performace of previous DC lines. I hear they are supposed to be carried this coming year, so we'll see how suppy goes, but I feel the general style of line collectors want from DCUC and Marvel Legends, simply do NOT jive with how retail operates these days, and Mattel in particular has been VERY slow to adapt.

Ultra Magnus
12-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Ah. That makes a lot of sense.

By "new product" I was generally talking about how it seems to take forever for a new line to actually take off in stores. It might just be up here, but aside from KB no one seems to open more than a case at a time if a line has been around less than a year. Though I have also noticed in the past the other two problems such as empty pegs for months and seeing 2-3 waves appear in other parts of the country months before I see them here.

Ah. Not really following the Marvel line, it seems like there's always a lot of it on shelves, but I would probably be frustrated if it turned out to be old product and exclusives as well.

Yeah. The 3.75 line should be good since they'll hopefully use what they learned from Joe and Star Wars. It'll probably vastly outperform Infinite Heroes (I only have the Gordon and Gotham Swat team pack, but the figures leave something to be desired).

It's good to hear that Walmart will be carrying them in the next year. Part of me hopes they get some back waves though I suppose they'll probably start with their exclusive wave. Well I saw them at KB for the first time recently so that's a measure of hope (I always seem to find what I'm looking for there before TRU or Walmart). They started with wave 4 which was their exclusive wave. I've seen Etrigan at TRU, but they haven't put any other figures out. :\

Thanks again for your info.

EagleEyeSteve
12-07-2008, 10:15 PM
And just so you all don't think I'm blowing smoke out my ass, a question similar to RID Scourge's was asked over at Sandtroopers with the recent batch of STar Wars Q&As:

3) Is it at possible that Hasbro could reconsider their position on selling figures in an on-line form. Small runs, exclusives, limited editions similar to how Mattel is doing with their new Masters of the Universe Classics collection? Obviously no one would be willing to pay a $20 premium for a 3 3/4" figure but at a reasonable amount like $10-13. This would allow collectors to finally get a hold of some not so kid friendly figures. It could also allow Hasbro to release some figures from other lines. GI Joe, Indiana Jones and Transformers.

Hasbro has pursued this option in the past, with no-so-great results. Quite simply, aside from special figures that we do for Comic-Con or for a specific promotional cause (such as R2-KT), these items are not successful for us we concentrate our items on bigger opportunities - such as the robust exclusive program already in place. Internet distribution just does not have the reach - many collectors still prefer the "thrill of the hunt" of shopping in store - and because of that we prefer to bring our exclusives to our retail partners for the best overall program.

BW3 Viper
12-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Dear EES, now that Blowtorch is out and the 25th line seems to have a way of giving us Argentina themed figures with Red Ninja Satan, Ninja Ku Storm Shadow and now Glenda Scarlet, how soon till we see TNT?

EagleEyeSteve
12-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Dear EES, now that Blowtorch is out and the 25th line seems to have a way of giving us Argentina themed figures with Red Ninja Satan, Ninja Ku Storm Shadow and now Glenda Scarlet, how soon till we see TNT?
I had to go to YOJOE to find out who the heck you were talking about
IF we see such a figure at all, it will not be until after the movie at this point. But more importantly, do fans REALLY want a powder blue and silver Blowtorch?
AS A CONCEPT, I think TNT would be a sound addition to the line, and the mold largely does fit the bomb disposal nature of the character. I just don't think his existing colors really work for the nature of the line.

But then again, this is a fandom that is clamoring for a kid in an eyepatch, and got excited over a Scarlett painted in blue and white. BUT...since this is an homage to a foreign exclusive, fans would probably love it.

Hasbro will probably do one EVENTUALLY, but all said, I'd like to see a few of the nifty Action Force figures get homaged first.

EagleEyeSteve
01-21-2009, 03:06 AM

ScrapIron-Scavanger
01-21-2009, 03:18 AM
What have you been up to EES?

EagleEyeSteve
01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
What have you been up to EES?

Better question is: Does anyone really want to know my personal dish?

Apacolypse
01-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Did you gets a camera yet Steve...or did that Mac you bought cut into the camera budget?

EagleEyeSteve
01-23-2009, 01:48 AM
Did you gets a camera yet Steve...or did that Mac you bought cut into the camera budget?

No, the GI Joe 25th and Transformers Universe budgets cut into THAT one....

BlueBikerBoy1
01-28-2009, 12:31 AM
i cant figure out what kind of pizza to get for dinner. what kind should i get EES?

ScrapIron-Scavanger
01-28-2009, 12:55 AM
I'll answer that one for you blue.

Vegitarian, unless you have some balls, then order meatlovers with triple extra meat/cheese/sauce.

BlueBikerBoy1
01-28-2009, 01:00 AM
mmmm. that actually sounds good.

ok a harder one. why can my 2 yr old son throw a baseball further then my 39 year old wife?

ScrapIron-Scavanger
01-28-2009, 01:03 AM
mmmm. that actually sounds good.

ok a harder one. why can my 2 yr old son throw a baseball further then my 39 year old wife?

Because she is a dope smoking, LAB. You should know that after your birthday party. :rolleyes

EagleEyeSteve
01-29-2009, 01:57 AM
I'll answer that one for you blue.

Vegitarian, unless you have some balls, then order meatlovers with triple extra meat/cheese/sauce.

But all that extra stuff will make it hard to cook the pizza, you'd get a crunchy exterior, and the dough will be undercooked.
It's a health hazard dude!

But seriously, it's pizza, you can't fuck that up, doubly so if you order out.

ScrapIron-Scavanger
01-29-2009, 03:12 AM
[quote=EagleEyeSteve;96309]But all that extra stuff will make it hard to cook the pizza, you'd get a crunchy exterior, and the dough will be undercooked.
It's a health hazard dude!
[quote]

Not if they know how to make/cook pizza. And what happened to living for the day? :horse

Sockhead
01-29-2009, 06:06 AM
EES, why is it that we aren't seeing any listings, pics or pre-orders for the products that's supposed to come out before the movie line (for example I remember the Q&As said that Chuckles, Dr.Mindbender and Recondo are supposed to come out before the movie)?

EagleEyeSteve
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
EES, why is it that we aren't seeing any listings, pics or pre-orders for the products that's supposed to come out before the movie line (for example I remember the Q&As said that Chuckles, Dr.Mindbender and Recondo are supposed to come out before the movie)?

Two big reasons:
1. Christmas is just getting over, and stores still have stock in circulation along with the fact in the past 3 months we've seen nearly 5 single pack assortments, at least 3 or 4 comic pack assortments, a vehicle assortment, plus the launch of Combat Heroes, Mighty Muggs, and revival of the 5 packs (which are shipping now).
There is always a slight lull after Christmas, in both stocking and announcements, partly influenced by....

2. Toy Fair, which is about 2 weeks away. While the big focus of the show for Joe will be the movie, Hasbro typically shows off their spring assortments at the show. Plus NYCC is either right before or right after, and you can expect some info from that source as well.

As of right now, do not expect wave 14 (revealed through a chinese source) on shelves before the end of February at the earliest, and with Resolute comic wave 1 hitting now, don't expect a new wave of comic packs until March.
Even then, that is still a good 3 months before the movie switch, so I'd expect at least 2-3 more single assortments and another two comic pack assortments, at minimum.

Sockhead
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks.
Here is another question:
Do you believe Hasbro will release the new LJ and Baroness from the 5 packs in single packs or comic packs? Or do you believe these molds will only be released in the 5 packs?

C.I.A.D.
01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Steve, with current market trends leaning towards "reliving the 80's", do you believe that there is a chance that we'll see any store exclusives other than those offered by Target? For example (not that this is likely): Would you say that there is a possibility, albeit slim, that Sears, Wal*Mart and others will follow Target & TRUs lead?

EagleEyeSteve
01-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks.
Here is another question:
Do you believe Hasbro will release the new LJ and Baroness from the 5 packs in single packs or comic packs? Or do you believe these molds will only be released in the 5 packs?
Trust me, Hasbro WILL reuse/repaint these molds, and several times. At this point, it probably won't happen until AFTER the movie, but from what I've seen between Star Wars and 25th, the molds will be reused. But, unless you really want these on MOC single cards, I still fully support purchasing the 5 packs. With the average retail of GI Joe hitting $7 (likely $8 before the end of the year), the comic packs and large multipacks offer a greater value for your dollar.
And in this situation, I'm very doubtful Hasbro would do anything aside from minor paint tweaks to the figures in any future single release.

To be brutally honest, I still get the feeling that Hasbro bumped up product plans to accomodate the movie push in the summer. With the single pack assortment being such a strong componant of the line, EVERY SINGLE FIGURE in these 5 packs are exceptionally marketable on their own. My gut feeling is that Hasbro put these packs together to get the figures out, and recoup as much of their investment as possible, before switching to movie figures, especially with Resolute getting a large push in singles.

Steve, with current market trends leaning towards "reliving the 80's", do you believe that there is a chance that we'll see any store exclusives other than those offered by Target? For example (not that this is likely): Would you say that there is a possibility, albeit slim, that Sears, Wal*Mart and others will follow Target & TRUs lead?
If the movie does well (which it appears hasbro is really hoping it will), then you can bet other retailers will want in on the GI Joe pie.

Keep in mind that Target and TRU have long been the only retailers will any real support for GI Joe, and Walmart has largely pissed on the Joe brand in favor of the Corps. But as you can see with Transformers, a big budget movie success will do a LOT to change attitudes in the retail buyers.

Grimlock
01-31-2009, 04:58 AM
Steve, why do you think the Hall of Heroes pics were scattered over several news sites?

Was this deliberate or a leak?

And if deliberate, then what are they thinking by scattering the pics separately?

BW3 Viper
01-31-2009, 05:20 AM
Dear EES,

Are there chances that we will be seeing a Dragonfly (and in other cases a Tiger Fly?) I think the tooling needs to accomodate the new figures but is this on the horizon?

Grimlock
01-31-2009, 05:41 AM
Got another one for ya, Steve.

1. What are the possibilities of a 12-inch female Joe from Sideshow, and if so, who's likely to be first?

2. Do you think the GIJCC will ever do those "lost Sigma 6" figures that were only seen at Toyfair (AT Colton w/the gorilla and Scarlett)?

EagleEyeSteve
02-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Steve, why do you think the Hall of Heroes pics were scattered over several news sites?

Was this deliberate or a leak?

And if deliberate, then what are they thinking by scattering the pics separately?
In the past, Hasbro has "spread the wealth" in regards to new product images to several sites in other brands, so I'm thinking it was deliberate. As to the whys, to create some kind of communication with the rest of the fandom, and to not show favoritism to a particular site.

Dear EES,

Are there chances that we will be seeing a Dragonfly (and in other cases a Tiger Fly?) I think the tooling needs to accomodate the new figures but is this on the horizon?
We will not see one before the movie, even then I'm iffy on chances given that the you're basically talking an entire new mold. I had the 2000 reissue for some time, and it had a hard time fitting later year RAH figures, much less larger Spy Troops figures.
Movie does well, chances do improve, but you also run into the situation where the vehicle on which the Dragonfly was based is either phased out or in the process of doing so. I would not get my hopes too high for this and a LOT of the classic bigger vehicles.

Got another one for ya, Steve.

1. What are the possibilities of a 12-inch female Joe from Sideshow, and if so, who's likely to be first?

2. Do you think the GIJCC will ever do those "lost Sigma 6" figures that were only seen at Toyfair (AT Colton w/the gorilla and Scarlett)?
1. That is Sideshow's issue, and I really don't follow their offerings enough to know if they have a female body type or if they plan to do one. If they ever do a female figure, Scarlett or Baronness would likely be first (not as if there are a lot of options on females in GI Joe ;) ).

2. To clarifty, Scarlett never reached the mold production stage, what we saw was a mockup. So an 8" Scarlett WILL NEVER HAPPEN. However, both the Colton/Gorilla and Deep Six/Shark sets were clearly done and ready to go.
the GIJCC could do these, but there are some major catches here:
1. A LOT of the newer fans still view the Sigma Six brand as a blight upon GI Joe (though most have never handled a toy and are still believing the VAST negative propaganda spread by older Joe fans)
2. The DTC wave 4 recieved a very weak response from fans, despite a LOT of effort to get them made (which pushed the release date into 2008). If DTC wave 4 does poorly, that would likely put the Club off from doing anymore products like that.
3. One of the bigger complaints about DTC wave 4 was the price. Keep in mind that if they were to do the last wave of Adventure Team, you'd have to expect each set to run $50-75. And I just don't think there is enough interest to support that.

Ultra Magnus
02-03-2009, 07:00 PM
So an 8" Scarlett WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

:cry

C.I.A.D.
02-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Steve,

How come you never want to cuddle after relations anymore? :cry

EagleEyeSteve
02-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Steve,

How come you never want to cuddle after relations anymore? :cry

You KNEW when we started they were just booty calls. Don't blame me for your insecurities!

SingSingJohnny
02-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Steve-

Do you think Hasbro will do a Series 2 for HoH? And how hard do you think these will be to get? Do you think they will be "virtual" pegwarmers due to price and lack of "brick & mortar" availability?

EagleEyeSteve
02-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Steve-

Do you think Hasbro will do a Series 2 for HoH? And how hard do you think these will be to get? Do you think they will be "virtual" pegwarmers due to price and lack of "brick & mortar" availability?

I think if these do well enough, there is potential for a second series. As I've said in previous threads about Hall of Heroes, I think there IS potential here as a Star Wars Vintage type line here.
Just off the top of my head, Hasbro could do for a second round:
Duke v1 with all his corrections and all the gear from his first figure, Tiger Force, and Jet pack
Tele viper with the corrected Viper arms and retooled original gear
Baroness, new 5 pack mold with all her original gear recast/retooled
Roadblock v2 with new headsculpt, more vintage style gear
Major bludd with new headsculpt (removable helmet) and non-Zartan body

But the problem is, Hall of Heroes is self limiting because, let's be honest, aside from relatively small number of figures, Hasbro's been pretty spot on. Is there really any way to improve the likes of Mutt? Or Croc Master? Or Airborne?

Realistically, it does come down to how these sell, and here are my predictions:
The BAT and Viper will be the most popular, especially if, for whatever reason, the battle damage BAT doesn't come out. And the viper is ripe for Army builders.
Storm Shadow and the 85 SE will be next to go, being so iconic to the brand.
I fully expect Zartan and the 82 SE to be complete shelfwarmers, with the rest falling somewhere in between.

These should not be hard to get given most online retailers still have these up for preorder, and being online only VASTLY limits the sales range. Given Joefans previous efforts in online exclusives....I'm not optimistic.

My advice (for anyone that cares) is to get your preorders in for the BATs, Vipers, and Storm Shadow (or any others you feel essential) NOW, and the rest will likely be available for a while, depending on how the movie ends up effecting the brand.

SingSingJohnny
02-04-2009, 03:29 AM
These should not be hard to get given most online retailers still have these up for preorder, and being online only VASTLY limits the sales range. Given Joefans previous efforts in online exclusives....I'm not optimistic.

That's what I'm afraid of...lack of support due to a limited market.

Thanks EES! :thumbsup

BW3 Viper
02-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Dear EES.

Is there any chance that we will be seeing another Ultimate Battle Pack later this year for Joe despite the fact that Target blew out the left overs for almost nothing? Is that more an indication not to make such a substandard pack the next time? Lets face it we only bought it for Short Fuze more then anything.

Ultra Magnus
02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Now, now. That's not true. I never had a Mobat, and while I all ready had most of the figures, they were well-done.

About the only thing from the pack I wouldn't have picked up outside the UBP was the HISS tank and the Cobra Commander.

Maybe not Short Fuze or Steeler since I don't really care too terribly much about the original 13, but Steeler with a mobat would've gotten my money if they had done it outside the UBP.

gijoe071681
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
realistically i only wanted it for the red hiss the mobat is overdone to the point of retirement it didn't fit the original 13 it didn't fit later figures well and it doesn't fit them even worse now.

hey ees are they actually going to install sounds into the new night raven and if so what price area are we looking at?

Ultra Magnus
02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah. I was a bit surprized myself. At first I figured the 25th figures were just big until I tried to put a RAH figure in there. I still like it, even if Steeler is only ankle-deep in the tank. Maybe they designed it as a place to put your Joes when the o-ring snapped so you could still play with them . . . :wink

EagleEyeSteve
02-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Dear EES.

Is there any chance that we will be seeing another Ultimate Battle Pack later this year for Joe despite the fact that Target blew out the left overs for almost nothing? Is that more an indication not to make such a substandard pack the next time? Lets face it we only bought it for Short Fuze more then anything.
Will be see a larger exclusive at Target next Christmas, probably. But I would honestly expect movie themed product with minor paint changes, and likely not anything pushing the price point we saw with the UBP.

And to be honest, I agree with RID Scourge, in and of itself, it is not a bad set of figures and really not that bad a value. Thing was, it was simply NOT a product really geared towards fans. About the only I saw as really being aimed at fans was Short Fuze. Even then, he was just a frankenjoe using Doc's head, SE's torso, trooper arms and Clutch's lower legs. I'm doubting most fans would have given a shit about the figure had he not been an OG13 and in a higher priced exclusive set. In fact, I fully expect Hasbro to do a better Short Fuze figure eventually, which will stir up a ton of complaints about them not doing it right the first time.

hey ees are they actually going to install sounds into the new night raven and if so what price area are we looking at?
Expect lights, sound effects, and little shooty things in about all larger GI Joe vehicles from here on out, assuming they aren't retools of classic molds. Certainly expect such on all new movie product.

I'm expecting a pricepoint in the $40 range, possibly as high as $45.

EagleEyeSteve
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
That's what I'm afraid of...lack of support due to a limited market.

Thanks EES! :thumbsup

Something else to keep in mind is we don't know how much of Hall of Heroes has been produced. The fandom and other online dealers could easily absorb a production run in 5-10K case range. But if it is a full retail run (100K plus), I would expect some to stall for a while.

To be fair, things can surprise us. One online retailer who posts at Hisstank said he already sold out of almost half his allotment (a whole 20 cases), and BBTS was sold out of Vipers and BATS for a bit (until getting more stock and bumping the price).
So I'm not expecting great things (especially once all the attention turns to the movie), but you never can really tell anymore.

BlueBikerBoy1
02-09-2009, 02:23 AM
steve if the economy keeps crapping will the retail of the joes go back down?

BlueBikerBoy1
02-09-2009, 02:23 AM
on that note what will the economic stimulas package have on the joe line?

EagleEyeSteve
02-10-2009, 01:32 AM
steve if the economy keeps crapping will the retail of the joes go back down?

on that note what will the economic stimulas package have on the joe line?
$7 is about as cheap as I expect GI Joe to get anymore. Wholesale is now running about $5.50 for GI Joe figures (Walmart probably pays closer to $4 for their stock given the volume they order), with markup associated with stocking, shipping, profit, etc, $8 is "reasonable" until wholesales comes down, which I'm not expecting for some time.

Whenever there is an economic downturn, even if consumers have less money, costs will often go up so that what little that IS bought, will generate the profit stores need.

If, however, the GI Joe film is a massive success, we could see pricewars on that product line. Back in 2005, in regions with multiple retail stores, Star wars figures were skirting $4.25, while in areas with just Walmart, were running just under $6.

But I foresee the days of the $5 action figure as effectively over.

The stimulus package will not have any specific effect on the GI Joe toyline as a brand.