PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary Stinger Driver Digi-Bash Contest

Hisstank
05-06-2007, 06:06 PM
G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary Stinger Driver Digi-Bash Contest

HissTank.com is proud to present The G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary Stinger Driver Digi-Bash Contest. For those of you that do not know what a Digi-Bash is the proper name is Digital Repaint.

Winner will receive a G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary Scarlett (Loose) and will have their Digi-Bash appear as a Profile Image for the 25th Anniversary Stinger Driver over at www.gijoe25th.com and have an artist spotlight Front Page News Post to show off your work.

To view the complete rules go here:
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368

C.I.A.D.
05-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Sweet Contest :thumbsup

Apacolypse
05-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Cool!!

Flint
05-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Cool, but agian my backward ways screw me out of a chance for some cool swag. Looking forward to seeing what everybody else does though. Good luck everyone.

Spirit-Iron_Lung
05-06-2007, 08:04 PM
awesome contest Destro

ScrapIron-Scavanger
05-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Any bets on Color-Viper winning this one? :wink

C.I.A.D.
05-07-2007, 10:38 PM

Great minds think alike :thumbsup

My votes are with Color Viper & Syrlandevale...both have amazing skills...

BUT...my "sleeper" vote goes to SingSingJohnny...no one thinks to remember that SSJ is a Photoshop Ninja...

I mean, c'mon...he made my sig and avatar :thumbsup

C.I.A.D.
05-07-2007, 10:38 PM

BUT...my "sleeper" vote goes to SingSingJohnny...no one thinks to remember that SSJ is a Photoshop Ninja...

PusViper
05-07-2007, 11:17 PM
My "mad" windows paint skills got me as far as putting Stinger Driver on stand. :lol

SingSingJohnny
05-07-2007, 11:34 PM

:ninja

Aw shucks...:D

Thanks for the kind words CIAD, I appreciate it!

P.S. I've already started mine...:mwahaha

Syrlandevale
05-08-2007, 12:02 AM
My votes are with Color Viper & Syrlandevale.
Well that made my day! That was truly kind, but I have nary the digital skill. Now if I were allowed to paint it old-school like the original card art...

Apacolypse
05-08-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm pulling for anyone from the island...but I'm with CIAD's thoughts.

Between those three guys...it should be one hell of a repaint. :thumbsup

C.I.A.D.
05-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Well that made my day! That was truly kind, but I have nary the digital skill. Now if I were allowed to paint it old-school like the original card art...

Why couldn't you paint it? There's always original card art, you know :wink

C.I.A.D.
05-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Why couldn't you paint it? There's always original card art, you know :wink

Um, yeah. You said card art in your post...I guess it didn't sink in until I re-read it :lol

Yes, I'm sure Destro would allow a bad @ss painting of original card art...that would be pretty pimp :D

But, if you make it...understand that Apac will own it one day. Don't ask me how it happens. He just does. It's friggin' scary. He owns like my entire collection. I'm surprised I haven't mailed my cat to him yet.

Apacolypse
05-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Um, yeah. You said card art in your post...I guess it didn't sink in until I re-read it :lol

Yes, I'm sure Destro would allow a bad @ss painting of original card art...that would be pretty pimp :D

But, if you make it...understand that Apac will own it one day. Don't ask me how it happens. He just does. It's friggin' scary. He owns like my entire collection. I'm surprised I haven't mailed my cat to him yet.

:lol

No cats here. Remember the whole bacon grease and sponge story??? :shifty

Speaking of MY collection...WHERE'S MY IG'S FOOL???

:lol

C.I.A.D.
05-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Where's your IGs? It's only 16 figures. What's the big deal? :shifty :lol

Apacolypse
05-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Where's your IGs? It's only 16 figures. What's the big deal? :shifty :lol

Ok spidey.

:shifty

Color-Viper
05-08-2007, 02:33 AM
I am all over this one like white on rice- I have already been working it.

Sometimes this sort of thing is embarassingly easily in Photoshop if you know the right tool or technique. This Stinger driver is more challenging than I at first thought, which is good, because if it were too easy, anyone could do it. It's hard to make things much lighter without losing the contrast range.

I am about 50% of the way there. I am trying to think about whether I should post my entry earlier or later. I don't want to tip my hand too soon.

Syrlandevale
05-08-2007, 02:48 AM
I'll buy some canvas this weekend and give it a go. It won't be accepted, but it'll give me something to do as I wait for these oils to dry on the gig I have now.

Color-Viper
05-08-2007, 01:41 PM
okay, mine's out there- and here it is.

http://www.jmort.com/graphics/cobra/stinger.jpg

There are some other good ones there already. I figured I better do mine now.

One of my advantages (I hope) is that I pulled his helmet down on his head a little better so that he's not such a conehead.

SingSingJohnny
05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Here's my entry. Like Color-Vipers, mine is pretty faithful to the original Stinger Driver...

I also pulled the helmet down on my version. (Hmmmm, will the helmet be removable on the Cobra Officer and the Trooper I wonder? It kind of looks like it in these pics...:think)

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6909/stingerdriver25thxv1.gif

Syrlandevale
05-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Gor! Color Viper... Sing Sing Johnny... those are bloody incredible! You bastards. I am sure one of you will nab the prize. Now if we could just get these gorgeous figures...

SingSingJohnny
05-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Seriously, I can't WAIT to actually own these things...not to mention how awesome it is that these are just the tip of the iceberg!

:thumbsup

The Pub Landlord
05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Cool repaints guys

C.I.A.D.
05-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Syrlan...you better get to painting that card art. I kind of entered you in the contest on hisstank :shifty

Syrlandevale
05-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Syrlan...you better get to painting that card art. I kind of entered you in the contest on hisstank :shifty
BWAH?!:lol I actually painted it last night after my daughter went to sleep, but it will be several days before the oils dry and permit me to scan it in. Glad I actually did it, now. Thanks for the boost of confidence, CIAD, although it isn't going to stand a chance against CV and SSJ. Bloody painting in a digital contest... I can't even abide by the rules if I want to...

BTW, whichever of you guys wins, NEEDS to do a comparison pic of the new fig with a classic one (assuming they aren't already in stores by the time you get it).

C.I.A.D.
05-08-2007, 10:07 PM
See...but your card art will go quite well with the figure entries...which is why it fits the contest :thumbsup

As far as "true to the rules"...Color Viper & SSJ have smacked this one out of the park :D Friggin' awesome figures!

PusViper
05-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Awesome entries fella's!

SingSingJohnny
05-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys! There are some sweet entries so far, can't wait to see more!

And Syrlandevale, seriously, your painting abilities kick major arse, can't wait to see what you got! :thumbsup

Apacolypse
05-09-2007, 12:29 AM
I LOVE THEM!!!

Spectacular Job fellas!! :thumbsup

I have always been a fan of oil paintings...and can't wait to see what you came up with Syrlandevale!!

Color-Viper
05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Nice work, Sing Sing Johnny.

I also thought about changing the eyebrow color after I posted mine. heh.

Well, I like yours at least as much as I like mine, so I won't mind losing to you. Good work.

SingSingJohnny
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Nice work, Sing Sing Johnny.

I also thought about changing the eyebrow color after I posted mine. heh.

Well, I like yours at least as much as I like mine, so I won't mind losing to you. Good work.

Thanks man!

Your take is awesome as well, I love the detail on the web gear on your version!

Hope one of us wins, I'd be happy either way...:thumbsup

Syrlandevale
05-12-2007, 11:33 AM
The paint on this is still quite wet, so a scan is not possible (that and it is a bit too large for my scanner), thus I had to whip out my disgraceful photographic capabilities again. I took one outside, but it has a glare; I took one inside, but it is yellowed; and there is a close up since my camera seems to enjoy neglecting any form of detail. The explosion background was nixed due to time constraints. Oh well, critique away...
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t210/syrlandevale/CobraStingerDriverClose-up.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t210/syrlandevale/CobraStingerDriverOutside.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t210/syrlandevale/CobraStingerDriverInside.jpg

So, again, my computer skills are nil... thus I hope I didn't screw this up and you can actually see the images. If not, then I shall get them up eventually. If anyone else would care to photograph this, or if they have a large enough scanner, then I'll mail it to you that we may be rid of my crappy pictures.

C.I.A.D.
05-12-2007, 12:18 PM
:eeek

Syrlan...between you, Color Viper & SSJ.....I'd say we have the fandom's best three artists EVER as members here.

Your work is stunning. Simply stunning.

You better go post that on the tank :D

Great Job, man!

Syrlandevale
05-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks, CIAD. I'm actually not a member over at HissTank... I just thought it would be fun to throw this together while I was waiting for the paint to dry on the other thing I'm working on. And I agree about Color Viper and SingSing Johnny! I'd like to see more of SlipperyWeasel's art as well. As far as I go, I don't think I am any good at all... but I understand art somewhat.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
05-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Nice work!

SingSingJohnny
05-12-2007, 07:57 PM
:love

HOLY $#@! That is AWESOME syrlandevale!

CIAD's right, post that at hisstank ASAP...then email them to HASBRO!

Apacolypse
05-13-2007, 01:14 AM
GREAT JOB syrlandevale!!! :thumbsup

It looks awesome!!

Syrlandevale
05-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Hahahaha! CIAD, you posted it for me, you crafty devil. You are like the wind. Thanks to everyone for their comments. It was just something I threw together one night. I wanted to be the painter for Joe cards as a kid (before I got into physics), so I can't really complain about the flaws in it since it turned out to be so much fun for me. Also, looking over the other entries, I must say that CV and SSJ have this nailed.

C.I.A.D.
05-15-2007, 10:50 PM
I couldn't agree more, Color Viper & SingSingJohnny really knocked this one out of the park...I'd love to see their figures on your cardart :thumbsup

Apac, Wyse.......TONIGHT WE DINE IN PAWTUCKET!

Apacolypse
05-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Woo Hooo!!!

First we hit the DTC warehouse in Harrisburg...clean them out of their stock. :shifty

Color-Viper
05-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Nice work, Syrlanvale,

wow. Your painting is really excellent. Your draftsmanship is superb.

I know that you lament not having greater computer skills, but having the artistic ability in real world media more than makes up for it. Plus, you end up with a great original painting- i just have a bunch of electronic files (gotta print them out someday). I feel like Photoshop helps me fake being really good- but you are the real deal, dude. Photoshop skills can be learned, but being a great artist must be mastered.

I am excited to see what happens with this contest. Feels like a long time to wait.

Syrlandevale
05-16-2007, 03:32 AM
That is too kind, Color Viper. But I must say that art is not in the brush, but within the artist. Your photoshop is but a mere tool for you. There is ritual involed in art: you raise energy and transform it, using color, shape, and location to instill emotion within the viewer. You cannot give a computer program credit for your abilities. You should look at each of your creations as a praise to your higher self. When Van Gogh first started out, he imitated the work of Rembrandt, that is how he taught himself to percieve art. If he had continued this style, you would have never heard of Van Gogh. It is because he had the courage, self realization, playfulness, and creativity to paint in his own way that he became a classic. You sir, possess these attributes; thus you create art. And, I will say the same to any of you... for what does grown men playing with toys require? Courage, self realization, playfulness, creativity... Art is everywhere, but only those who can understand it may call themselves artists. You, Color Viper, are an artist.

Syrlandevale
05-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Wha? I should not write so late at night... and lay off the peyote.

Color-Viper
05-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Wha? I should not write so late at night... and lay off the peyote.

:p LOL.

And thanks for the kind words, Syrlandevale!

Color-Viper
05-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Congrats to Sing-sing Johnny for winning this contest! Way to go, SSj.

SingSingJohnny
05-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Thanks man, I appreciate it! :thumbsup

What a great idea for a contest!

Apacolypse
05-31-2007, 12:40 AM
Yes...Congrats SSJ!!

I'm glad I wasn't a judge, they all looked awesome.

SingSingJohnny
05-31-2007, 12:42 AM
They sure did...I really didn't think I'd win, everyone did such awesome work! They should collect all the entries into a gallery or something...

PusViper
05-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Congrats, SingSing. :thumbsup

SingSingJohnny
05-31-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys! :)

Syrlandevale
05-31-2007, 02:15 AM
:rock SINGSING!:rock

C.I.A.D.
05-31-2007, 11:09 PM
It's awesome that an Islander won!